Skip to main content

THE LAST STEPS

By David Pam McQuel

Physical death is probably the worst effect of the curse. We will love to just live together forever with loved ones.

Death comes to all, the times and methods may vary but it eventually comes. Somehow the body gets tired of fighting, gets worn out and just can't support the inner man anymore. So man returns to his Maker.

In my 29 years of ministry, I have had a few occasions to officiate over burial ceremonies. Most of them people I pastored other times, total strangers. Every home going ceremony differs from the other. It is called home going because man returns to his eternal home.

2Corinthians 5:5 'For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven, 3 if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked. 4 For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life. 5 Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.
6 So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord."

The path to the end for our brother was long.

First it was the time of suffering. At different times, my wife and I visited and prayed with him and his family. He told me how happy he was to make peace with God and make his way right. We prayed, we believed God, we looked forward to healing and long life as God promised us in Genesis 6:3. 

But above all, we submit to God's ultimate will. He knows what we don't know and he can never be wrong.

Then came the moment his wife told me our brother had gone to be with God. Disbelief, shock, emptiness and sorrow came. I remembered my mum's home going, how I felt. I imagine what our brother's wife is going through. I pray for her for comfort and strength.

Reality dawned more last weekend as we drove into the village for burial. Seeing the crowd, the festive Ghanaian funeral dress code and practice reemphasized the end of life on earth. It was incredible that the people we share precious moments with can go. Everything becomes temporal.
We then matched passed the corpse as displayed for family and friends for the last time. Seeing his remains well suited up spoke of how vain life is. Relatives and friends get so emotionally shaken that some had to be helped out.

The last stage was the brief graveside ceremony which I did alone. Dust to dust, ashes to  ashes. Pronouncing these words was such a responsibility. Then the song, "it is well with my soul" by traditionally sang sought to reassure us that no matter what, our hope is in God.

One of the greatest thing about been at the grave side is the sober and broken status of everyone present. Everone finds the most soft, soothing and comforting.

Last weekend, with all honesty and sincerity I delivered my own testimony of a brother in Christ, someone I pastored and a great partner of my life and ministry. And here was my tribute:

"Tribute to the Memory of the Selfless Life ---------
Whenever a man dies people cry for two reasons:
1. What a help the person has been
 
2. What help he carried along with him to the grave

But the Christian way to look at a man is to emulate the virtues that made him truly influential and cherish the good end of his life.

Our Brother had a few:
1. Selfless Sacrifice
 
2. Hard work
 
3. Forgiveness
 
4. Transparent
 
5. Loved God
One of the many times we had a deep conversation, he told me one of his biggest weaknesses was that he cannot say "NO" to anyone who needs help. And truly, even when he didn't have the means, he will rather find the means than say no. Sometimes that cost him a lot of pain but he had the pleasure to serve and to help every time.

As his pastor, I can confidently testify that ----- never ignored God's work. Rather he spent lavishly to further the kingdom whenever he had. And he has had so many pastors as close friends. He fully participated in church activities and worked hard to promote God's work in Nigeria and here in Ghana.

The world is a harsh place. Life is tough. Luminaries that ease people's burden are very few. Our Brother was one and he is going to be really missed by us and the world. We are confident that he is finally with Jesus whom he loved.

May God grant his wife and their children the courage to move on and all the help that they need in life even beyond what our Brother would have done."

No matter how incredibly frank or flowery we express ourselves, certain realities remain:
1. That man has only this lifetime to make his way right with God.

2. That God does not judge a man's life according to people's applause.

3. That a lot of things we worry about are really irrelevant.

4. That pleasing God is the greatest pursuit of the believe.

On the path of the last steps of man, it becomes most important to remember the Preacher's last thoughts in Ecclesiates 12:13 "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter:
Fear God and keep His commandments,
For this is man’s all.
14 For God will bring every work into judgment,
Including every secret thing,
Whether good or evil."
NIV

From this, let's learn and live better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REPOSITIONING CAN MAKE YOU MORE EFFECTIVE

  B Y    D A V I D     M C Q U E L Hello Everyone!   It has been a long while. The year 2022 has finally passed. And we are still here. God is to be glorified. We absolutely give God thanks.   I tried to review the year, looking backwards at my pleasure and displeasure with the year. I also did try to see where I failed, underperformed or missed the mark both set by God or by my heart. I always like to do an honest self-appraisal. I bear in mind that either lavishing praises on myself or ignoring things that should be fixed are not to my advantage. Transparency may hurt but I stand to gain first before someone else.   Here are a few things that I came to a conclusion on: 1.       I need to make certain necessary adjustments or changes or repositioning either on my character, my commitment, my determination or my effort. This is non-negotiable. I cannot continue to do things the way I did and expect a different result. I am impressed by European football. If there is s

THE RICH FAMILY IN OUR CHURCH

I'll never forget Easter 1946. I was 14, my little sister Ocy 12, and my older sister Darlene 16. We lived at home with our mother, and the four of us knew what it was like to do without many things. My dad had died five years before, leaving Mom with seven school kids to raise and no money. By 1946, my older sisters were married, and my brothers had left home. A month before Easter, the pastor of our church announced that a special Easter offering would be taken to help a poor family. He asked everyone to save and give sacrificially. When we got home, we talked about what we could do. We decided to buy 50 pounds of potatoes and live on them for a month. This would allow us to save $20 of our grocery money for the offering. Then we thought that if we kept our electric lights turned out as much as possible and didn't listen to the radio, we'd save money on that month's electric bill. Darlene got as many house and yard cleaning jobs as possible, and both of us baby sat fo

FIVE YEARS ON...

B Y   D A V I D    M c Q U E L HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL   But for us at the World Missions Centre, Abidjan, it is an even bigger day. Today is the 5 th anniversary of the launch of the World Missions Africa Blog.   When we launched on January 1, 2017, we had only on our hearts a message to share about the love of God through our Lord Jesus Christ and on our minds anxiety and questions if anyone at all will read the message we blog.   Here was our first blog post published on January 3, 2017: “Welcome to our blog. World Missions, Africa is making every effort to bring the love of Christ to all humanity. Primarily, we focus on  Africa  now in our physical activities. But with the online community, our efforts extends to the ends of the earth. Jesus died for all humanity. Every race, every ethnic group, every people, male or female, bound or free, the gospel of salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ is free to all. Jesus said, "Go into all the world and preach the go